Skip to main content area
October 30, 2018

Inmate in Extremely Critical Condition

On October 28, 2018, at 8:20 p.m., The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department Communication Center began receiving multiple 911 calls from motorists in the area of Watt Avenue and A Street, within the North Highlands community of north Sacramento.

Many of the calls received by the Sheriff’s Department described an adult male who was behaving erratically.  The suspect was reported to have been jumping on top of multiple cars at the intersection, ripping off windshield wipers, and causing damage to vehicles stopped for the traffic signal.  One of the victims who called from a nearby convenience store described the same male suspect causing a disturbance in the store and attempting to grab her while she had money in her hand.  This victim indicated the suspect stated he had a gun, however, she explained she had not observed the suspect to be in possession of a gun. Another caller explained she was watching the male as he was standing on top of a compact car; this caller expressed the opinion that the male appeared to be on drugs.

During this same time frame, the California Highway Patrol also was receiving similar 911 calls from motorists in the area.

Officers from the California Highway Patrol responded along with Sheriff’s Deputies. The male suspect was detained and arrested by CHP officers then was subsequently transported to the Sacramento County Jail by Sheriff’s Deputies.  During the contact, deputies observed the suspect exhibiting several objective signs of intoxication. The suspect was identified as 36-year-old Miles Marshall of Sacramento. Marshall was booked on numerous charges including felony vandalism, public intoxication, and a felony violation of his current probation status.

Upon arrival to the jail, the suspect was uncooperative and struggled with Sheriff’s Department personnel as he was escorted through the booking process.  Upon placement into a cell within the booking area, deputies continued to monitor Marshall.  Within seconds deputies noticed Marshall did not appear to be breathing.  Jail medical personnel were immediately summoned as deputies began performing chest compressions.  An AED machine was also brought to the cell and utilized. The Sacramento Fire Department responded to the jail and transported Marshall to an area hospital where he remains in extremely critical condition.

Sergeant Shaun Hampton

Sheriff’s Spokesman

Translation Disclaimer