- Use traveler's checks and credit cards instead of cash
whenever possible. Take only those credit cards you need.
- Carry a purse close to your body, not dangling by the straps.
Carry a wallet in an inside coat or from trouser pocket. Better
still, wear a money pouch underneath your clothing.
- Be alert for pickpockets in crowded areas like airline, bus
and train terminals, major tourist attractions and public transportation.
- Don't look distracted or lost. Walk confidently and stay
alert to what's happening around you.
- Stay alert for staged mishaps, like someone bumping into you
or spilling a drink, a stranger offering to snap a family photo
or a pedestrian jumping in front of the car and falling so you
leap out to investigate.
Before You Go
- Plan ahead. If you're traveling by car, get maps and plan
your route. Have the car and tires checked out before you leave.
- Leave copies of the numbers of your passport, driver's
license, credit cards and traveler's checks with a friend
in case you need to replace them.
- Put lights and a radio on timers to create the illusion that
someone is at home when you go away. Leave shades, blinds and
curtains in normal positions. Stop the mail and newspapers or
ask a neighbor to take them in.
Once You're There
- When you check into a hotel or motel, check out the locks. Look
for deadbolts or solid doors with peepholes. FYI... the new
coded electronic cards are safer than ordinary key locks.
- Be sure your luggage is locked. Keep it close to you at — all
- Keep valuable in a hotel safe or safe deposit box. Better still,
leave them at home.
- Ask the hotel staff or police about the neighborhood's
safety and what areas to avoid.
- Lock belongings in your suitcase or keep them out of sight.
- Don't display guest room keys in public or carelessly
leave them on restaurant tables, at the swimming pool, or other
places where they can be easily stolen.
Immediately report any crime to the police.
Return to Crime Prevention Tips
Crime Prevention Tips Provided by:
National Crime Prevention Council
Join Our Team
Locate Your Local Office