In the Line of Duty
killed a policeman today and
A part of America died.
A piece of our country he swore to protect
Will be buried with him at his side.
The suspect who shot him will stand up in court,
With counsel demanding his rights
While a young widowed mother
must work for her kids
And spend many long lonely nights,
The beat that he walked was a battlefield too,
Just as if he had gone off to war.
Though the flag of our nation won't fly at half mast,
To his name they will add a gold star.
Yep, somebody killed a policeman today
In your town or mine.
While we slept in comfort behind locked doors,
A cop put his life on the line.
Now his ghost walks a beat on the dark city street
And he stands at each rookie's side.
He answered the call, of himself gave his all
And a part of America died.
This is our tribute to our brother and sister officers
who have given the ultimate sacrifice for us and our community.
These officers are heroes and will always be remembered here and
in our hearts. Click on each officer's name to learn more about
their tragic incident and pray that no more officers will give the
McKinney, August 15, 1850 - Shot to death arresting barricaded
- Charles J. Ogle, March
12, 1951 - Patrol vehicle was struck by a drunk driver.
- William Littlejohn,
June 3, 1955 - Patrol vehicle was struck by a drunk driver.
- Roger L. Bauman, December
12, 1961 - Shot to death during the pursuit of an armed robber.
- Kenneth B. Royal, June
7, 1968 - Shot to death while arresting an armed robbery suspect.
- Bruce R. Verhoeven,
December 4, 1973 - Shot to death while arresting an armed robbery
- Stewart P. Baird, June
13, 1976 - Beaten to death by suspect during an armed robbery.
- Christopher W. Boone,
October 25, 1979 - Shot to death during a surveillance of a sex
- Eugene N. Luther,
April 25, 1980 - Shot to death while off duty by an unknown robbery
- David E. Miller, January
2, 1983 - Killed during a vehicle pursuit of an assault suspect.
- Richard Deffner,
January 21, 1988 - Shot to death during a Special Enforcement Detail
operation in search of a wanted felon.
- Sandy Larson,
December 8, 1998 - Killed as a result of a traffic accident while
transporting two inmates from Soladad Prison.
- Kevin Blount, July 13, 2005 - Killed in a helicopter crash during routine patrol near Lake Natoma.
- Joseph Kievernagel, July 13, 2005 - Killed in a helicopter crash during routine patrol near Lake Natoma.
- Jeffrey Mitchell, October 27, 2006 - Shot to death during a traffic stop by an unknown suspect.
- Vu D. Nguyen, December 19, 2007 - Shot to death during a foot pursuit.
- Paul W. DeRouen, March 29, 2008 - Died of complications 22 years after being struck by a vehicle during an altercation with a suspect.
- Lawrence W. Canfield, November 12, 2008 - Killed as a result of a traffic accident.
- Danny P. Oliver, October 24, 2014 – Shot to death during the investigation of a suspicious vehicle.
- Robert A. French, August 30, 2017 – Shot to death during a gun battle while responding to shots fired during a probation search.
Join Our Team
Locate Your Local Office